Monday, February 25, 2013

DIY Hair: How To Do Ombre Hair with L'OREAL Feria

I'm a woman of many hairstyles. I try to spice it up every once in awhile by doing something completely crazy with it. I once ombred my hair with bright red/pink. I wanted to do a subtle change to transition my black hair into a more fun, Spring look. Here is a really easy DIY ombre tutorial that took my boyfriend and I about 1 hour!



So I'm a sucker for commercial ads, I once ombred my hair back in Summer 2012 with a product called Splat. There is a recent ad that I saw on tv called L'OREAL Feria. I decided to give it a try and see if a product specifically for ombre hair would be more efficient than just doing it by myself. So this is what I did...

  1. I made myself a shirt with a Walmart plastic bag by cutting the bottom of the bag with scissors.
  2. I then followed the instructions provided in the box (very thorough instructions provided inside the kit for the mixing procedure)
  3. The picture on the box was not what I wanted, there was no subtle transition from dark to light, that was what I was trying to aim for. Therefore, I applied the dye to to the comb and then brush at the tips of my hair first.
  4. Then 10 minutes later, I added another coat, but I went about 2 inches higher and wait another 10 minutes.
  5. Apply another layer, but apply another 2 inches higher. This will give it the gradient affect.
  6. I waited a total of 60 minutes before I showered. The instructions said to wash and rinse after 40 minutes, but my hair has been dyed before, therefore it takes more time to absorb the dye.
The results are below. The first picture is how my hair turned out. It is a reddish blonde, but as you can see, it isn't just one color, but it gets light to dark from the tip of my hair to the top of my scalp.

My overall thoughts of the product, it's not about the product, it's about the procedure. If you follow the procedure of applying layer by later, the results should be the same if you use another brand or hair bleaching kit. I actually did a red ombre in Summer 2012, also pictured below my current hair. 

Like I said, I love to change my hair! I had really long hair and decided to get an aline cut sporadically after Summer's end. If you want to do ombre hair make sure to just apply the dye to your hair, layer by layer, that way you get a gradient ombre instead of a patchy or a blotch of colored hair which looks less natural.


Spring 2013

Summer 2012

Toodles!
A

No comments:

Post a Comment