Wednesday, January 30, 2013

DIY Clothes: Simple and Clean Accents on Basic Dresses

I've had this sitting in the back of my closet for quite some time, it has absolutely no shape and it slightly reminds me of something a nun would wear. So there it hung in my closet, unworn and unnoticed. Little did I know, 1950's inspired dresses are all the rage right now. Rounded collars are commonly added to sweaters and dresses to add that extra touch of femininity. So, go in the back of your closet, I'm sure you have a dress similar to mine as well, and let's have our way at it!



As you can you, my dress doesn't have a stretchy waistline like most dresses nowadays. So in order to give this dress some extra shape, I will add a black belt to give me the illusion of an hour glass figure. As you can see, adding the belt transformed the dress almost instantly.


I am all about those embellished collars and I am currently obsessed with studs. This dress is so simple, and I could have added much more, but sometimes a little goes a long way. These studs were purchased from etsy.com, they are very easy to fasten and very cheap! They have four prongs on them, pictured above, on the left. You are able to easily push these prongs into all sorts of fabric (satin, wool, cotton, polyester, even leather!) and securely fasten them by pressing the prongs towards the center. There you have it! You've done your first DIY project!


Now pair this dress up with a pair of heels for a semi-formal cocktail party! Or even wear some sheer leggings and with some Mary Janes paired with a vibrant colored cardigan for a chic look to school! 

Toodles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment