Wednesday, January 30, 2013

DIY Home Decor: Think Pink


One of my largest DIY projects occurred in the summer of 2011. I had $70 dollars in my pocket and was determined to make a change in my dreary old room. The after picture of my room is provided below.

After




Before

I love PINK, it is my favorite color. There are room accents of pink here and there, but it didn't reflect me entirely. So I needed to amp up the pink and make this room look like it was made for a princess, not a poor college student. So here's what I did.

1. I removed the bordering around my room. As much as I love france, that border was tacky and uninspiring.

2. I wanted to paint my walls, but like many college resident halls or apartments, paint to wall was out of the question. So I used an alternative method. I used lace I purchased at a fabric store and bought about 10 yards to cover one of my walls. As you can see below. I fastened the fabric to the wall by using thumb tacks! ($12)

3. I then thumbtacked a curtain panel to the middle of my newly decorated wall. I then thumbtacked the sheet piece of the fabric to my ceiling to make myself a little canopy. To hide edges at the top of the lace, I purchased crown molding from Lowes. It was $8 dollars! Then I used foam double sided tape to fasten it up there above the fabric.($8)

4. I then flipped my comforter to the other side to hide the plaid. So that the patterns weren't too overwhelming. I also added some pink flowers in my black sconces for a more romantic feel. ($0)

5. I've also added pink accessories like frames and Hello Kitties to reflect my personality. All of the pillows were made by muah! ($50)

Prior to this project, I had no experience in interior decorating. I was just inspired to make a change for myself. So think about the things that make you happy and make your room... you!

Try:
-Using patterned fabric that you like, damask? plaid? solids? fleece? different colored lace?
-Try decorating a room that you will be thrilled to sleep in and happy to wake up in as well!
-Don't be afraid to use spray paint. Those sconces were originally gold, but a few years earlier I spray painted them black.
-Make windows where they don't exist. To add drama to your closet, add curtains so that you can conceal your closet in a stylish way.

Good luck on redecorating your room! If you have any specific questions, I am totally willing to help you out! A video will be posted shortly.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment