Saturday, February 16, 2013

DIY Clothes: Crop Top w/ a Peek-A-Boo Heart


I love crop tops, they give the right amount of ease and trendiness. I will be showing you how to make a crop tank that was inspired by an ad I saw in Seventeen Magazine. Carly Rae Jepsen was wearing a dress with a cut out heart on her back. I instantly fell in love. I've never seen a crop top version of dresses like that and since I had some left over fabric from my previous tutorial, I went ahead and made a crop top with it.


  1. Fold your fabric in half and use a tank top as your stencil. By doing that, you can tell where it would be cut off to make it a crop top.

     

  2. Now that you have the back and front, take notice that these two pieces are identical, but when you wear a tank, the back is different from your front, so we will be working with each individual part. First, let's focus on the back since it was the reasoning for this entire tutorial.



  3. Fold one of your pieces of fabric in half like so. Then cut out a heart at the stop half of your shirt. Make sure the heart is of the size you would like. I didn't want my heart to be too large because I didn't want my bra to show in the back.


  4. Now, for the front, do the same as your did for the back, except now you will be cutting out a scoop neckline for your crop top. You can cut it as low as you want, if you're planning on pairing it with a bandeau, then you can cut the scoop neck even lower



  5. The cool trick about this tutorial is we won't be sewing at all. We're going to use heat and bond to make the seams and hemming. You can of course use a sewing machine or fabric glue if you like. I was a little lazy to use the sewing machine today. So put the pieces to your shoulder and the edge of your shirt (make sure they are attached to the pretty side, and not the back side of your fabric). Iron these pieces onto those specified areas.


  6. Now iron the other piece of fabric directly on the fabric you just applied heat and bond to. Make sure the pretty sides are both face together.


  7. Now flip it inside out, and you've got yourself a crop top with a pook-a-boo heart!


  8. I also added a box to the front of the crop top just for an extra touch of cuteness.
Wear it with some leggings with a pair of sandals! Or you can wear it with some jean shorts to show some skin. Enjoy your crop top that you didn't even have to sew! 


Toodles, 

Angelina 

No comments:

Post a Comment